Thursday, July 15, 2010

Grognardian Goodness

Happiness is coming home to a big, chunky box from GMT Games sitting on your doorstep. Today I arrived to find GMT's Pensacola 1781 and Wilderness War (reprint) patiently waiting for me. For some reason I seem to be going through a musket phase...

The Wilderness War box in particular had a new, satisfying heft to it over the previous edition, with a nicely mounted board packed inside, worthy of the hoary ghosts of Avalon Hill. I'm a huge fan of the French-Indian War theme since way back in my days as a elementary school kid in Pennsylvania learning about Iroquois raids on the hapless colonists who lived in the area and reading lots of Fenimore Cooper. I find this particular card-driven wargame to be one of my favorites and particularly well suited to PBEM play due to the relatively low unit density.

Pensacola 1781 (still in shrink at the moment) seems to be a Battles of the American Revolution game on steroids, with the full campaign game predicted to last 8-10 hours. This is quite a feat, as the game system itself is quite simple and fast, so I'm curious to see the scale of the fight. The game includes French, Spanish, British, American, and even Native American forces who fought in the battle, so there is bound to be lots of chrome here.


In other news.....

  • Come join your fellow SABG pals on League of Legends. Post your handle in the comments, and I'll "friend" you there. Its good, free fun.
  • Another random recommendation: Puzzle Quest 2 (platform your choice, most likely) is dangerously addictive fun. Now if I could just catch up to Hornsfan on the leaderboard....
  • This looks like good gaming food.
It appears, sadly, that 1 vs. 100 is toast.


Okay, enough rambling. I have some shrink wrap to pop.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 10:27 PM, July 15, 2010, Blogger Rob said...

I just got my shiny new copy of Titan from tanga.com. It was a great deal for such a massive game. Tons of trees went into making this cardboard beast of a game. There seems to be a growing interest for wargames and confrontational games in the meetup.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home