Sunday, February 28, 2010

March Madness

Well, its already March! Speaking of March, there should be a pile of games marching onto my doorstep this month, including the new Combat Commander Battlepack #3 and Washington's War, further evidence that all games worth reprinting eventually will be. The Washington's War Playbook, now on-line at GMT's website, provides an interesting commentary by the designer on the changes he made from the original We the People game.

I'm hoping for good things from these, as my recent acquisitions Republic of Rome and Axis and Allies: Pacific 1940 have been errata-fests of the worst kind. Luckily, thanks to a motivated community, both have now been living ruled back into shape.

On the computer gaming front, I just picked up Dawn of Discovery: Gold on Hornsfan's recommendation. Come join us in multi-player! Sins of a Solar Empire: Diplomacy may be the best RTS I've ever played. I've been playing enough now that I can match wits successfully (barely) against Hard-level AI, and I'm still loving it. Meanwhile, I'm still crunching through Dragon Age and have no idea how far along I am. I played about 4 hours/day for a week, then got a bit burned out and took a week off. I'm back in now, and its finally starting to get nicely difficult and scary.

This next month I'm looking to pick up the Dawn of War II expansion. I'm a sucker for Chaos Space Marines. Also, hopefully I'll be ready for the Dragon Age expansion when it comes out.

This is a good time to be a gamer! What is everyone else looking forward to this month?

Now I just need to find some tarot-sized sleeves....

Labels:

12 Comments:

At 10:08 PM, February 28, 2010, Blogger Ben said...

Oh, and of course, the next wave of Heroscape releases this month.

 
At 10:33 PM, February 28, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just picked up Wars of the Roses from Z-Man. On first read of the rules, it looks like a Kingmaker-themed El Grande. Well, I got it, so we might as well try it.

I also got the Prophecy expansion, the Alea Treasure Chest, and Hannibal from Valley Games. I'm not sure when I'll get some of these to the table, but they're around if we ever want to try them.

 
At 10:10 AM, March 01, 2010, Blogger seanp said...

I'm waiting for Rob to buy Vasco de Gama, and want to play Power Struggle again. I'm tempted to pick up Peloponese now that the price is down to $55 at funagain, as opposed to $80 back in November.

I need to get Farmers of the Moor and the Pandemic expansion to the table...

My "spare time" other than that has been consumed with reading - I got a B&N Nook ereader, and have been plowing through books. So if you've got good book recommendations, please let me know!

 
At 2:38 PM, March 01, 2010, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm waiting for DA expansion, and have preordered SCII... eventhough it's still months away. Sean, get Peloponnes, and in exchange, I'll still think about getting VdG.

Too bad I can't make it to gaming tonight. Power Struggle does need more love.

 
At 6:52 PM, March 01, 2010, Blogger Ben said...

Reading wise, I'm tearing through the collected works of Kurt Vonnegut at the moment. Great stuff.

Sean, any recommendations from your recent reads?

Chris, I think Steve needs to be taught a lesson in Hannibal... and despite trying many times, I'm apparently not the one capable of doing so.

 
At 10:59 PM, March 01, 2010, Blogger Anne said...

Sean, what genres intrigue you? Have you read Scalzi's series starting with Old Man's War?

 
At 9:25 AM, March 02, 2010, Blogger seanp said...

I'm pretty flexible with genre. Good sci-fi holds a soft spot... I've been going through the Time's 100 Best American Novels (which includes classics as well as newer stuff like Snow Crash and The Watchmen, so is a pretty fun list). Neal Stephenson is great, if wordy... A classic I really liked was Augie March by Saul Bellows. I've poked a bit at Neil Gaiman, and have mixed opinions... perhaps I'm not reading the right books.

I'll have to look again at Vonnegut Ben - my lone experience was Slaughterhouse Five, which is a trippy book. I haven't read Scalzi - will definitely look that up.

 
At 7:30 PM, March 02, 2010, Blogger Ben said...

Sean, if you like Sci-Fi, then start your Vonnegut exploration with The Sirens of Titan, one of my all time favorite books.

Snow Crash is a great book, though perhaps less cutting edge than the day it was published. I think I have a soft spot for stories focusing (at least initially) on pizza delivery.

Thanks for the tip on the Time's 100 Best American Novel list. Lots of good potential for future trips to the library there...

 
At 7:32 PM, March 02, 2010, Blogger Ben said...

Oh, the Time list of 100 Greatest Movies is pretty good too. Netflix fodder is always nice. First on the list (alphabetically), Aguirre: the Wrath of God, is awesome.

 
At 9:55 PM, March 02, 2010, Blogger Rob said...

i'm reading newer stuff on my sony ereader... Here recently, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and currently, Cutting for Stone.

Oh, and also read Alice in Wonderland before the movie comes out.

 
At 4:34 AM, March 03, 2010, Blogger Fred said...

Sean/everyone, I'm a longtime SF fan who was actually going to write his dissertation on this stuff before I wised up and became a pro gamer, so if you ever want recommendations, just let me know what you've read and particularly liked and what you've particularly disliked and I would be happy to offer suggestions.

The books closest to Snow Crash that I can think of is Vernor Vinge's True Names and Don DeLillo's White Noise, though White Noise probably isn't shelved as science fiction.

 
At 7:14 PM, March 03, 2010, Blogger Mark S said...

I was hoping to see some photos of what a $400 collectible War of The Ring (or was in Jumanji) game looks like.
For that price FF Games should have included a full size Gandalf the White robe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home