Saturday, October 17, 2009

One Collector's Edition To Rule Them All

Steve and I managed to sneak in a game of War of the Ring today around the excruciating Texas win over OU. It was a military slugfest, with the Free People's giving as good as they got for a while. Finally, the hobbits ascended the last step on Mount Doom, looked over the edge...and shuddered as The Shire and Edoras fell in quick succession to give the Shadow a military victory. The game came down to both sides being one move away from a win, but my Fellowship was revealed one step away from victory with the last tile draw, meaning they needed two moves--a hide and then a move--to dunk the Ring, and that was all the opening Steve needed to claim Edoras before the hobbits could make their last move.

Steve (and I think Jon, too?) has the amazing ability to know the starting setup without looking at the rulebook. (Me, I spent all game trying to differentiate between Rohan and Gondor, referring to their armies as "the ones with the little shields and the ones with the big shields," never being certain which was which.) So as we opened my WotR set for the first time and set it up, Steve figured out instantly that I was short one regular orc figure. No big deal--I've written to FFG before about missing or messed up pieces and they've always fixed it quickly and without question.

As I prepared to email FFG, I went on BGG to figure out if the piece has a name that I need to refer to so I could request a new one. As I did so, I came across this:

War of the Ring Collector's Edition Pre-orders (official)

Only 299.99 (don't call it 300) Euros. That's 450 in American smackeroos! Only 2000 copies will be made. Only 1000 will be available this year and only 400 in the US (through Fantasy Flight). I don't really know what to say about this...other than I can't wait to see this thing when you get it, Ben. (I know Joe Fling will get one, right Joe?)

Speaking of Ben (I know...you're thinking "Who is this Ben person?"), sorry about your Golden Domers. We were rooting hard for a ND win over USC. But at least your team didn't lose twice.

11 Comments:

At 10:12 PM, October 17, 2009, Blogger Ben said...

My Precious....

Wow...

I think I'll assume the fetal position for a bit and further contemplate my options.

 
At 10:25 PM, October 17, 2009, Blogger Carlos said...

Mark and I are poised to play WotR on Halloween. Glad that you were able to get in a game!

As for your issues with the pieces, I had this as well, so I painted the pieces with small splotched of color to better identify them. No I am not a miniature artist like Steve, but the hour that I invested in painting was well worth it!

I was also Sorry to that ND did not come back in the end. That final one second play would have been "Glorious!"

 
At 9:14 AM, October 18, 2009, Blogger Ben said...

Looking at recent E-Bay auctions, it seems selling my mint, shrink-wrapped A&A Anniversary Edition will get me about half way there.... Then dumping the BattleLore mega bundle onto E-Bay in lieu of Math Trade... plus a few less video games in the coming weeks... Oh yeah, baby!

 
At 11:10 AM, October 18, 2009, Blogger joefling34 said...

It's going to be very hard to not get one. So tempting.... yea im getting one!

 
At 7:29 PM, October 18, 2009, Blogger Ben said...

Boom! I just sold A&A 50th for $250 via Buy-It-Now on E-Bay... I think I perhaps should have set the price a tad higher. Now to find a box to hold the monster.

 
At 9:36 PM, October 18, 2009, Blogger Rob said...

I'd play Ben's copy too.

 
At 9:42 PM, October 18, 2009, Blogger Rob said...

Jon will prob get one... but not before he buys 3 copies from stores that are closing down on different parts of the world that have them on clearance, and resells them ebay. Then he'll have enough to buy one at full price, have it signed by the designer, get the map fully laminated, and get a temperature and humidity control container to store the game in.

 
At 1:44 PM, October 21, 2009, Blogger joefling34 said...

Chris, after reading your seesion report thoroughly I realized this game may not have been over. Depends really, on how many action dice you had left as the Free Peoples Player. Once the Shadow player reaches 10 VP's the game does not end. As the Free Peoples, if you had the necessary dice to hide the Fellowship, and then move it again before the round ends, then you could have won. Or, if you didnt have the right dice, maybe you could have reclaimed a VP from the Shadow. I just wanted to throw this in there and see if you could have possibly still won.

 
At 4:57 PM, October 21, 2009, Blogger Mark said...

Ben, a bird in the hand...selling A&A:50 for $250 isn't a bad deal. It sounds like the new A&A Pacific and Europe 1940 will make it obsolete.

I'm envious. I hope you post pictures of your new Collectors Edition set when you get it.

 
At 11:10 PM, October 21, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Joe, I think we missed this one. Steve and I talked about it afterwards and it seems like we both would have met our victory conditions on the last turn. Does dunking the ring supercede the 10VP in conquered cities for the Shadow? I guess it does.

Well, knowing that rule makes an interesting game even more interesting.

 
At 5:04 PM, October 22, 2009, Blogger joefling34 said...

Yes, Ring victories always supercede Military Victories. The order is as follows:

1. 12 Corruption Points (SP)

2. Destroying the Ring (FP)

3. 10 Victory Points (SP)

4. 4 Victory Points (FP)

If your ever up for a game let me konw, I play about 3-5 times a week. Yes! its that fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home