Sunday, October 18, 2009

I think I just found my first Essen purchase


And it's Dungeon Lords. The rulebook is pretty damn funny, and who can argue with Vlaadi's track record? Here's some quotes from the first two pages:

Oh, you’re here already? Um... do come in. My name is [redacted to comply with advertising regulations]. For over 300 years, I have been in the service of the great [redacted to comply with advertising regulations]. The Ministry of Dungeons has asked me to round out this text with notes and comments from my centuries of experience. It is my honor to comply. Although if they don’t stop censoring me, they can take their pencil and [redacted to comply with obscenity regulations].
At the end of the "Overview of play":
You call that a summary? This is a summary: build, fight, build, fight, score. That’s all there is to it.
On Priests:
Priests hate their roles in adventuring parties and do not get along with the others. With lawyers, however, they are quite chummy. They take the Adventurer’s Code literally when it says, “Priests are required to heal the party after battle to the best of their abilities.” See? “After battle.” No battle, no healing.
On your first game's simpler rules:
Yeah, I know what you’re thinking: “Hey, I’m a hardcore gamer. I can handle the full rules.” Well guess what? This game is designed for hard-core gamers. And we still want you start with the simpler rules. You gotta learn to irk before you can torment, kid.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 7:16 PM, October 18, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've definitely been looking at this. I'm a big fan of Vlaada's games (I've enjoyed Galaxy Trucker, Prophecy, and Through the Ages) and I liked the Dungeon Keeper computer games, which this bears a lot of similarity to. Plus Z-Man does a very nice job with game publishing.

There may not be such a thing as a can't miss game, but this would seem to come close. It's been a while since I was really looking forward to a game release. Like Brian, I'm looking forward to this one.

 
At 9:34 PM, October 18, 2009, Blogger Rob said...

Oh yeah. It's been in my wishlist for a while...as well as Stronghold.

Brian, read your blog. Space Alert is a hoot...but not a game I'd pull out every single game night. I'd prob pick up someday...

 
At 12:27 PM, October 20, 2009, Blogger seanp said...

Space Alert is an odd duck. It's one of those games you start by describing as "With the right crowd..." - which is always dangerous. But when it works, it's a lot of fun. I've considered picking it up for awhile... the biggest drawback is needing a CD player (but now that I've got an iphone I might load mp3s and only need to bring some portable speakers)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home