Monday, May 18, 2009

Let's Play Some Games! Saturday, May 23, 2009

This picture just makes me want to say, "Shoryuken!"

Alright.... my kitchen pass power meter is almost maxed out, and I'm feeling the need to spend a day playing something fun. There has been preliminary talk of various fun things, and I know several members have expressed similar interests. So..... who's in?

Here are a few other rambling thoughts....

I'm getting the sneaking suspicion that My Brute is the absolute suckiest fighter in the game. Tonight my enemy stole my guy's stick, then proceeded to beat him to death with it while the enemy's pet bear stood there and laughed. Almost to Level 8.... one XP at a time....

Today I took a big step. I actually canceled a P500 order from GMT when, after reading about half the 30-page near final rulebook, I realized there was no way in the foreseeable future I was going to get around to playing the game. This game, PQ-17, looks fun and interesting enough, but with particularly complex rules and no provision for solitaire play, I think this would be another closet queen. If someone else in the group is particularly excited about it, let me know, but otherwise, I think I'll invest the discretionary bucks in something more likely to return the investment.

Speaking of which, I do have a couple new video game related buys: a Hori Arcade Stick (for the upcoming Marvel vs. Capcom 2 on XBL) and finally a Gamecube, mainly to play some Star Wars Rogue Squadron II (old school). Anyone want my Sega Dreamcast?

Alright.... here is a little discussion question: Read any good books lately? As for me, I'm finally reading Heller's Catch-22. So far, I love it. I should finish this week.

Hope to see everyone this weekend. If not, have a great holiday!

Cheers.

Labels: ,

23 Comments:

At 9:48 PM, May 18, 2009, Blogger scott said...

I am in for at least one good day of gaming this holiday weekend; just let me know where.

 
At 10:07 PM, May 18, 2009, Blogger Unknown said...

Rumor has Saturday as well as Monday gaming. We shall see. :ninja:

 
At 10:46 PM, May 18, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading Devil in the White City when I get the chance before bed- that's not often, though.

There's a forum thread in Chit Chat of people reading Pillars of the Earth. Still my favorite book ever.

Ok, yes, let's get it out there. Saturday 9am my place until whenever--no real end time. The only NBA game on Saturday will be the first Lakers Nuggets game in Denver (7:30pm on ABC high-def), and although I expect LA to take the first two, I think Denver can really challenge LA, so this may be a good game. It would be a long day if anyone wanted to stick around for that, but we'll keep it as an option.

I don't expect any epic game to be played on Saturday. It'll probably just be the usual mishmash of games, so bring what you like.

Any of the Monday night DL crew that wants to join us is certainly welcome. If you don't have directions, shoot me an email on BGG (username: bigtex01) and I'll get back to you with directions. Same thing goes if you need the gate code.

 
At 10:48 PM, May 18, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW, Brian had mentioned tenative hosting capability for Monday, but I will defer to him.

 
At 3:00 PM, May 19, 2009, Blogger Brian said...

Jacqui and I will not host on Monday, although we'd be interested in gaming.

 
At 3:23 PM, May 19, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm almost certainly out for Monday as I'll trying to make up for months of neglecting my parents by spending about 24 hours with them in person. So I can't host for Monday.

(I might make it back into town in the early afternoon and be able to drop by for some gaming somewhere else, but no promises at this point.)

 
At 3:58 PM, May 19, 2009, Blogger pat said...

I would be interested in gaming on Monday (out of town Saturday)

 
At 4:13 PM, May 19, 2009, Blogger Unknown said...

Depending on the head count for Monday I might be able to host. If nothing else there is DL.

 
At 6:41 PM, May 19, 2009, Blogger Schifani said...

I'll miss most of Saturday due to work and then having to take my son to basketball. But I plan to swing by for at the latest the LA-Denver game and maybe earlier.

Dominion was ok though I think the cards could have used an aggressively thorough shuffle. They were uppity.

 
At 7:48 PM, May 19, 2009, Blogger Rob said...

Ben, have you seen any reviews comparing that stick with Madcatz's? Looks nice. I wouldn't mind getting one for SFIV

 
At 7:55 PM, May 19, 2009, Blogger Ben said...

Yep:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6204592/index.html

 
At 9:25 AM, May 20, 2009, Blogger pat said...

Chris, Pillars of the Earth was exceptional. You might check out some of Eco's work if haven't already.

 
At 8:42 PM, May 20, 2009, Blogger Travis and Katy said...

I'm reading The Name of the Rose now, so far so good; definitely for fans of Sherlock Holmes!

 
At 8:44 PM, May 20, 2009, Blogger Travis and Katy said...

I can host on Monday if Tiffany is unable. I'll keep an eye on the posts and see where we end up.

 
At 8:31 AM, May 21, 2009, Blogger Unknown said...

Travis -- if you wish to host I shall defer to you. I do not midn hosting, but my apartment is not ideal for large groups wishing to game. It is your choice.

 
At 11:08 AM, May 21, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Travis, any chance you can make it on Saturday as well?

 
At 8:29 PM, May 21, 2009, Blogger scott said...

Chris,
I am in for Saturday; has the gate code changed since early March?

Travis,
I am a maybe for Monday but would need directions.

All,
For Saturday snacking I was contemplating bringing pita chips and hummus but was not sure what this group's reaction would be?

 
At 9:00 PM, May 21, 2009, Blogger Unknown said...

Scott - I like pita chips and hummus. Just saying. :)

 
At 9:23 PM, May 21, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott,
Sent you the gate code via email.

Definitely bring what you would like to eat. Little snack contributions are always welcome. And if no one else wants any, well that's more for those of us that do, right?

Probably going to buy some lunch meat and chips again for Saturday unless there's a groundswell of support for a TC run or something in the middle of the day. I'm trying to eat a bit more healthy, and sandwiches are probably closer to what I need to stick to than pizza or hamburgers, at least for a while.

 
At 10:27 PM, May 21, 2009, Blogger Jonathan W. said...

I will be there, most likely with Michael.

 
At 6:02 PM, May 22, 2009, Blogger Travis and Katy said...

I can probably show on Saturday as well.

 
At 8:57 PM, May 22, 2009, Blogger Al said...

Could I please have directions and the gate code to Chris' place? I think I can show up tomorow, I'll see in the morning.

 
At 9:27 PM, May 22, 2009, Blogger Al said...

Oops, I forgot to give my e-mail. It's number656@yahoo.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home