Monday, November 24, 2008

Next to "Traitor" in the Dictionary

Me (Roslin), Travis (Tigh), Brian (Starbuck), Chris (Baltar), and Scott (Admiral Adama) started BSG at 5:30 on Monday. Right off the bat, no one took Chief Tyrol; not a good sign. But we clearly had no Cylon in the early going, and jumped through five units with minimal losses.

After the sleeper phase I was stunned to find that I still wasn't a Cylon. But with the first action after the sleeper phase, for safety's sake, I used a Quorum card to check one of Adama's loyalty cards. Sure enough, he's a Cylon -- but of course, no one believes me at first, because (a) what are the odds?, and (b) I'm always the Cylon, and that's exactly what a Cylon would have said. The loudest proponent of this view was Brian, who quickly modified a crisis card decision and revealed himself as the other Cylon. The good guys sacrificed population left and right to speed-jump to eight units, but couldn't draw any more jump counter moves before Brian took our last drop of fuel with the Inbound Nukes super crisis card. Still, not a bad run -- Galactica was undamaged, we had 4 population, and we were only one jump away.

At that point I had to quickly buy some paint and run to the airport. But as I'm at the register, the guy behind the counter hands me the phone. It's my wife -- the guy I'm supposed to pick up just called and said he never got on the plane. It turns out the rest of the message got garbled; he didn't get on because of some kind of security/visa issue (he's Russian), and is taking the first flight tomorrow morning. So nobody's in trouble. But hey, time for more BSG!

This time it's me (Apollo), Brian (Roslin), Chris (Admiral Adama), Tiffany (Boomer), Jon (Chief), and Michael (Tigh). Before I even begin my first turn Michael is convinced I'm a Cylon, and considers throwing me in the brig. On his first turn a crisis comes up that, if passed, will let him check one loyalty card. Of course I know he's going to check mine, and of course, I *am* a Cylon. I dumped my entire hand to defeat the crisis and still lost, not only revealing myself, but allowing Michael to check someone else's card too. Great start.

The humans reach the halfway point with fuel and food barely in the red, but *13* population. The next loyalty cards come out, and of course, I get the sympathizer. No third cylon, since two dials are red, but I can throw someone in the brig. I decide to go all or nothing, hoping that Michael drew the other Cylon card, because he's always a Cylon too. So I toss Chris (Adama) in the brig, passing his Admiral title to Tigh. And you can guess the result -- Chris was the other Cylon, and even through Brian released him, he was quickly re-brigged before he could reveal. The humans coasted to an easy victory with only fuel down to 1, and even that only on the last crisis. Early Cylon catches and frequent use of scouting cards (Michael's deft hand with the raptor notwithstanding) were the key -- only one Cylon ship card came up the whole game.

Rob, we're talking about doing things on the day after Thanksgiving. I'll have my brother with me and we'll be looking to game while the women shop.

8 Comments:

At 11:34 PM, November 24, 2008, Blogger Mark said...

BSG looks really cool. I'd like to try it some time if I can make it on a Saturday.

 
At 12:19 AM, November 25, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

BSG was fun. I might not call it my most favoritest game ever. But i would be willing to play again Just remember. I was not the traitor. Nope. it seemed to drag on a little bit long. But I think as far as a cooperative game with traitors that I like it better than Shadows over Camelot. ( i think thats the game I want. My brain is kinda fuzzy and I have enough 45 min at work or so before I get to sleep)

Dominion was played while the first game of BSG was wrapping up. I am not certain how I feel about that. I am kind of ambivalent. Perhaps it will play better online. We shall have to see. I need to figure out how to make BSW work, and it seems the interface is working on my laptop -- which i use more than anything -- I just dont know how to work the interface at all. But yeah. Games on BSW might be good. We should try them. Yes.

And then there was Race. We played two games. I can now score in the 30's. Or at least i did for two games in a row. I enjoyed it. :) I like winning too, but I am certain that it will never ever happen again. Ever.

 
At 2:00 AM, November 25, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

Wait.

Dennis wasn't the traitor in the first game?

 
At 2:02 AM, November 25, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/357254

Card sleeves for Dominon and Agricola

 
At 2:29 AM, November 25, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

So much for 45 minutes before sleep.

 
At 1:02 PM, November 25, 2008, Blogger Rob said...

Great report Dennis. Makes me want to play it some more. Friday is looking good for me, but that could change at the last minute.

 
At 6:48 PM, November 25, 2008, Blogger scott said...

I am probably out for Friday. I had friday off but since nothing seemed to be happening I decided to go ahead and work and save the time off. Thus, my only possibility would be friday evening and that makes me doubtful.
As for BSG, there is a balance with respect to Pilots and the Support Guy. On the one hand they are the least able to assist with challenges since blues and reds come up least as good to overcome challenges. On the other hand their skills are the most useful in being sure that actual Cylon ships do not spell the Humans doom.

 
At 8:29 PM, November 25, 2008, Blogger Carlos said...

After your last report I got BSG and wasted no time going through the rules. I had hoped that you would meet today so that I may play, but I had to work late. Maybe next time. Great Report!!

And referring to Tiffany's comparison to SoC, based on my reading over the rules BSG seems more fun and challenging to me as well. I recall that Jeff said the same thing in the last post.

Mark, perhaps we can try this the next time we play. Jose would make a great Cylon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home