Monday, February 12, 2007

Kingmaker and Battlelore

I have had some excellent e-mail Kingmaker campaigns, but it's been awhile. We always had 6 actual players plus one of us took a turn as the referee, and we used Kingmaker for everything but the field battles. Whenever it was 5-1 or more, the battle was considered a walkover, and anything but "Bad Weather Delays Attack" was a complete pasting. Sieges, parliament, map moves, etc., were all handled as in the rules, except everyone e-mailed their moves prior to a deadline and they were exectuted simultaneously. If order mattered (such as one stack saying its intention was to pursue another group), then I'd dice for order rather than prorate the moves. Not sure how the other refs handled this, but there was never any worry about it if I remember right.

The real fun was the field battles. 4-1 would take a miracle to overcome (it was worth fighting since the threat of the stronger side losing a noble was there), but once you got around 2-1 and closer to even, upsets became possible. The referee would play these out using a simple set of miniature rules called Days of Knights. Great fun and it was easy to act as the players wished because Wars of the Roses tactics were very straightforward.

Now that we have Battlelore, I was wondering if there were any interest in this sort of campaign locally. Ownership of Kingmaker/Battlelore isn't required, as I'd act as the first ref and be happy to explain anything to new players. Each player would pick his favorite noble, except Percy. Even 10 or 20 point nobles are good choices, because they would get a permanently assigned title so that all players start evenly. Permanently owned mercenaries are another good way to even things.

Each player could e-mail/tell in person/telephone their moves to me by a given day, and I could post the results here on this blog page. If battles resulted, I would scale the game into a medieval-like adventure using the Battlelore rules. All of the cards would be transformable into certain types of units. Even battles would be 12 units vs. 12 units, with a 4-1 battle converting into 16-8. Flags needed to win would be 1/2 the enemy rounded up.

Ideally, the opposing players could play out their battles within a few weeks. Unforeseeable delays could be converted to a die roll.

Would anyone care to see if I can firm this up into something solid? Do you think the interest in Kingmaker and/or Battlelore is there? Ted and I get through the complex scenarios at a good clip, so I think the field battles would not take very long at all, while still being fun because they have significant meaning to the overall Kingmaker game.

Just rambling on.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 5:32 PM, February 12, 2007, Blogger Carlos said...

This sounds like a really cool idea. As I said in a previous posting, I loved the game Kingmaker. It has been many years since I have played, but in my mind this was one of the great games of the 70s.

I am curious what you may have in ming about using Battlelore (BTW, I neither own Battlelore nor have I played...but would like to). I would be afraid that this may turn into quite a logistical operation for the game master.

I for one would like to see what you have in mind!

 
At 9:19 PM, February 12, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

Count me in! I first played Kingmaker in 5th grade, and though its been about 20 years since I've played I'm a big fan.

Carlos, we need to get rid of that bad case of BattleLore virginity you have.

 
At 10:25 AM, February 13, 2007, Blogger Jeff said...

"with a 4-1 battle converting to 16-8"

Is that a typo, or am I missing something?

 
At 11:58 AM, February 13, 2007, Blogger Ted said...

Jeff, I think he means if you have 4-1 odds, then one side gets 16 units while the other gets 8 units on the BattleLore board.

I'm interested, but I've had poor experiences with PBEM games. The only thing that perks my interest is the inclusion of the smaller BattleLore tactical battles.

Plus the option to convert the battle to a dice roll if scheduling is difficult.

I'm willing to give it a shot.

 
At 11:59 AM, February 13, 2007, Blogger Ted said...

I guess I should mention I've never played Kingmaker.

 
At 2:21 PM, February 13, 2007, Blogger Dennis Ugolini said...

I think Jeff's question was whether 4-1 converting to 16-8, rather than 16-4, was a typo or an intentional concession to the fact that a 16-4 battle would be rather boring to fight out.

 
At 2:30 PM, February 13, 2007, Blogger Schifani said...

Carlos, it is not hard at all to track the game, and the battles will be even easier than with Days of Knights, which worked quite well. I refereed 2 games to complete conclusions, and had a great time participating as a player-noble.

Ben, nobles are first come first served, so if you or anyone else have a favorite in mind feel free to claim one. I always liked Bourchier best, and called my faction the Mud Bugs. Part of the fun was that everyone had to name their faction, and some were pretty funny.

Jeff, Ted is correct. The tabletop games will not be a perfect transfer of crown card points to Battlelore forces. This works for the best IMHO because it encourages field battles. But everyone will be fully briefed as to what their cards will convert into so that they can make an informed decision.

Ted, you and I can go through a sample turn the next time we get together. I'll bring Kingmaker so you can get an idea of how the basic game progresses.

I found the article I wrote on Kingmaker-Days of Knights. I'll redo it for Battlelore over the next week.

Steve

 
At 7:13 PM, February 13, 2007, Blogger Ted said...

I was thinking that a better way to give odds in BattleLore is by # of figures vs number of units.

An army w/ 12 units probably has about 40 figures (cav only get 3). An army w/ 10 figures could possibly have 10 units, though they are very fragile.

A 2-1 advantage would be major, but not to the point of being brain dead. Many units would have 3 figures, and if the underdog were able to shift the action to one area they could potentially do quite well if not win.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home