Saturday, September 23, 2006

In which a multitude loses to Jeff, again

Last night we had a full group, and that was before Jeff and Amy arrived. While we were waiting for them, we played a game of Geschenkt. Everyone was aware of the best strategy ("Sit to my daughter's left") but she was on the computer, so people had to wing it. By the time Simon won, Jeff and Amy had arrived. This meant we had seven, and that means party/trivia games.

[Neither Jacqui or I are big Diplomacy fans. I could have lived with Struggle of Empires, but it would have taken a bit long since only I had played. After that I don't have many seven player games.]

We started off with two games of Wits and Wagers. I still can't believe I didn't know the year hubble was launched ... my college did the optics while I was there (and it was a major scandal) and fodder for the comedy magazine, etc. But I thought it was my freshman year when it was junior year. In fact, at one point in the second game we realized that it was impossible for me to have so little money ... you can only lose $10/round. Jeff won the first game, and I don't remember who won the second.

The titles and anecdotes change, but you can end each following paragraph with "Jeff won the game."

Stage II saw our second ever "theme guessed after a single clue." Given the theme, I'm surprised they didn't re-order the answers. I'm still trying to think of any other theme with the first answer. [Insert stock ending here].

Attribut plays any number, but I'm souring on the 'grab someone else's selection' mechanic. don't expect depth in a party game and Attribut delivers what I expect. [...]

Scott had to bow out, but we ended with Smarty Party. Yet again, a fun game marred by random violence towards the truth. I hope some philanthropist funds an open source site to provide better questions, ala Wikipedia (SmartyPedia?). Perhaps the expansion is better. Still, most cards were reasonable, and we get to live out a Seinfeld episode. ("I'm sorry, the correct answer is Moops!") For a while, it looked like Dennis would win a laugher ... but ... you know.

4 Comments:

At 11:52 PM, September 23, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

I only read STRUGGLE of EMPIRES....everything else was something like blah blah blah...

 
At 1:32 PM, September 24, 2006, Blogger Jeff said...

Some days you're the bug; some days you're the windshield.

The Wits and Wagers win was fluke-ish. Lots of factors had to come togther just right on the final round (and they did). For the record, Amy and Dennis tied for first in the 2nd game of W&W.

 
At 10:55 PM, September 25, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

I've never played Junta.... someday. Nobody seems interested in it but you Kendahl.

 
At 9:22 AM, September 26, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

btw, i only said the above because I much prefer euros/ameri/wargames. for the record.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home