Wednesday, August 09, 2006

FFG Next to Go Down the Tubes?

http://www.midnight-film.com/

For the record, I'm a huge FFG fan, and I have bought almost every board game they've put out in the past year. However, my reaction to their latest announcement is a giant, "Yikes!"

I suppose from a business perspective, diversification can be a good thing, but, apparently just moving from board games to poker games was the downfall of Eagle Games. Will producing B-movies be the downfall of FFG? I'm no Roger Ebert, but to me these clips look like they grabbed a bunch of LARPers at a Con and started filming. At least they remembered to include many of the old fantasy film standbys like the mean looking orc; the pretty but sad elf maiden, etc. What do you all think?

Maybe I should go ahead and pick up my just-in-case-it-goes-out-of-print copy of Britannia sooner rather than later... In the mean time I'm keeping my fingers crossed they don't decide to give Twilight Imperium 3 the B-movie treatment...

9 Comments:

At 4:43 PM, August 09, 2006, Blogger Brian said...

It depends on where they are aiming. Plenty of indie stuff done cheaply. ("The Gamers" DVD, a ~40 minute deal about roleplaying, was funny enough and probably only cost $10-20k). If the actors all look amateur, they probably are. Which means they did it for egoboo, not money.

 
At 7:01 PM, August 09, 2006, Blogger Simon said...

I sincerely doubt FFG will go down the tubes. They appear to have an actual competent marketing staff, good quality control, and some cash cows to keep them a float for a good while (CCG's).

The movie doesn't even look that bad. To me it looks identical to any scifi channel series on the air right now (maybe even slightly better). -Nothing spectacular but good enough to pass.

 
At 7:43 PM, August 09, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

Good points. FFG is posting a few "remain calm" messages on their boards.

To help fund their movie development efforts, I just picked up three more of their games.

 
At 10:07 PM, August 09, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

Simon, I agree with you completely. I don't think this would bring them down. And it totally looks like a decent tv scifi movie. It could just as well have ended with a:

Midnight.... a Scifi original movie...coming this Fall.....

 
At 10:52 PM, August 09, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

Simon, when are we playing your copy of this?

 
At 11:50 PM, August 09, 2006, Blogger Simon said...

Answer: When I'm not totally flat broke.

 
At 7:02 AM, August 10, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

Its one of the FFG games I just ordered....

 
At 5:09 PM, August 10, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

There you go Simon. See how great SABG can be? Ben bought it for you.

 
At 7:51 PM, August 10, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

I ordered it from Timewellspent, so it will probably be another week before the package appears on my doorstep. I also picked up Britannia, the latest Game of Thrones, one of the Mystery Rummy's and Epic Dungeoneer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home