Saturday, July 15, 2006

Tucking In Your Board Games

I recently became aware of the process of using tuck boxes to organize board game components rather than the standard solution of ziplock baggies and/or plastic tackleboxes. The above design for Arkham Horror was created by BGG user Helen Holzgrafe (hholzgrafe) and is posted there for download. She has also created numerous other designs for other popular games. Very impressive!

There's also a generic tuck box generator program on-line created by Craig P Forbes. In addition, I found a wealth of information on the topic at the Making Custom Card Boxes website.

I am not sure if I'm ready to spend the time to get quite this organized, but I do appreciate the thought of having themed, well-organized internal storage. Anyway, I thought I'd share this research with the group. Has anyone had experience making their own storage boxes?

4 Comments:

At 7:44 AM, July 16, 2006, Blogger Rob Cannon said...

I made the boxes for Arkham Horror and I am very pleased with the results. AH is a good case because it has lots of cards and tiles that need to be seperated into many piles.

But there are tons of games out there with tuckboxes for them that I don't think are worth the effort it takes to make them. Look at how hard it is to set up a game before you make the tuckboxes.

 
At 10:59 AM, July 16, 2006, Blogger Coldfoot said...

Before every game came with pre-formed plastic inserts with nifty slots to store all the components, I used snuff cans to "bag" the components.

I had a couple guys save them for me, I washed them out and used them. One snuff can is exactly big enough for the pieces of one color in Settlers. I have lots of snuff cans to separate the components of Twilight Imperium, Roads and Boats, the new Axis and Allies, and Doom.

They just don't work well with most games that come with the plastic inserts, and that's most games these days.

 
At 2:13 PM, July 16, 2006, Blogger Jeff said...

Tuckboxes look really cool, but I'll stick with Ziploc baggies for games with poor inserts.

 
At 10:09 AM, July 17, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

Tuckboxes.... they look sweet, but it's too much work. But with some free time in my hands...

I'll stick to tackle boxes by now. The problem with these though is that you have to be good as estimating how big of a box and how many "compartments" you really are going to need. My Arkham tackle box was a lucky guess... it fits perfectly in the box WITH the plastic insert, and holds all the essential stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home