Monday, January 23, 2006

Their Finest Hour...


As the scattered paratroopers of the 505th, lead by Staff Sgt. Willems, hunkered down into their defensive positions within the town of St. Mere-Eglise, a strange uncertainty fell over their otherwise upbeat morale. Anything was better than the beaches of Normandy, but the ease in which Carentan was taken gave them doubts about the German war machine. Certainly, many feared what they felt was an almost compulsory counter initiative.

EEERRRrrrrrrr-KAaaa-BOOSH!

Artillery fire poured suddenly in from the south. The men pushed all the air out of their lungs and readied their M1919A4 machine gun nests. Their suspicions were right and now they were in for hell from an implacable German barrage. Obersturmfűrher Wengler had ominously arrived with a platoon of Wehrmact from the 91st Division, approaching through the concealed bocage of the countryside surrounding St. Mere-Eglise. The verisimilitude of the situation was that of an inevitable onslaught.

To make things worse, it appeared that a StuG IIIG and a Marder I armored transport had appeared on the road to the East as well. Fortunately enough for the Americans, Snipers had been set up in the wheat fields along the advancing enemy position as well as the town’s Church tower. As a glider squad, shot down by anti-aircraft fire, collided into hedgerows in the west of town miraculously unharmed, the Yanks felt the odds start to shift a bit in their favor.

Little would the Germans know how tenacious the red, white, and blue would be when cornered…


Well, Jon and I finally got in a game of LNL: BOH! The game is all that it says it is - the fun and excitement a wargame provides without the rules clutter and heavy time requirements. The hero system and impulse driven gameplay make both players constantly involved in the scenario. There’s also enough dice injected in to make the game less deterministic, like most Grognard games, and more chaotic like actual war (although Jon was doing his best to disprove statistics with his constantly horrid throws). I can’t speak highly enough about the genius and simplicity of the module. –And it’s pretty to boot, which is a sort of oxymoron for a wargame.

I can’t wait for the next clash of arms in the Western Front.

10 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, January 23, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

Nice sound effects and pics. :)

Personally, I always love adding the sounds of troops getting run over by tanks during overrun attacks. Flamethrower sound effects are fun too...

So who won? Obersturmfűrher Wengler ?

 
At 11:19 AM, January 23, 2006, Blogger Simon said...

Can you see all the pics? I'm having a hard time getting them all to look properly (plus working links)...I think I've edited the thing like ten times now.

Anyway, I won by a good margin. Jon didn't even break my first defensive line, almost entirely due to a few dozen laughably bad die rolls.

 
At 11:55 AM, January 23, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

I see three pics.

 
At 12:31 PM, January 23, 2006, Blogger Jonathan W. said...

I must have done something that horribly offended lady luck.

If I needed to roll low to do well, I would throw double 6s, if I needed to roll those double 6s I would throw snake eyes. As a result, most of my troops stayed shaken and unable to do anything throughout the entire game.

Even with the laws of probability not on my side I had a good time and I look forward to a game where the dice favor me, or at the very least do not hate me.

 
At 7:24 PM, January 23, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

I do have notoriously bad luck. Both our troops would probably just sit their shaking in their boots looking at each other for the whole game!

 
At 8:18 PM, January 23, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

I think the problem is not with Jon's die rolls, but the fact that he was playing against Simon... the luckiest %$#@ I've seen. Out of probably 6 or 7 conflicts started by me in tigris and euprhates, he was able to counter all but one.

Of course, I have to blame my loss on his luck and not my inferior cunning.

 
At 8:28 PM, January 23, 2006, Blogger Simon said...

...I think you got us turned around there Rob. Jon was the lucky one in T&E.

 
At 9:55 PM, January 23, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

Simon did you pay the full $70 for Lock 'n Load? Is it worth full retail?

 
At 10:38 PM, January 23, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

LOL!!! Yes Simon....sorry. You are right. I don't know what I was thinking. Then my story makes no sense.... just ignore it.

I'll blame it on the long sleepless nights at work this month....or maybe it was from not wearing my foil skullcap like usual to block the evil rays that hijack my thoughts and fill my head with gaming dreams.

 
At 1:58 AM, January 24, 2006, Blogger Simon said...

Rob: No problem.

Ben: Hell no. I have an aversion to paying retail for pretty much anything. I got it off Strategy Page for around a 30% discount. I was going to get Mark H. Walker's Vietnam module of the same system, but they recently lowered their rates to around 10-15% discounting. So I'm holding off till I can no longer resist.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home