Monday, April 20, 2009

Smoke dem fishes if you got em.

Scott, Chris and I started with No Thanks. I have decided that standard laws of probability do not apply, as the number of times where card N was followed by N +/- 1 is way higher than normal. (And, as Scott and Chris will attest to, I kept shuffling and cutting the deck between cards during the game). Due to the unfortunate (and highly improbable) card draw, Chris won.

At that point, we added Tiffany as well as a new face (Pat). Actually, she wasn't the first new face, as Chris and Scott were talking with Frank when I came in. Pat joined us for Adel Verpflictect (how to pronounce it). Scott led for most of the game, and I was doing fine until my thief was caught by every single detective in the game. Literally. Every Single one. This triggered the end game, and not to my benefit. Chris buried Scott's lead under a wave of curiousities.

At this point, Chris decided he needed to lose something, so played Memoir '44. Sean joined the rest of us in Phoenicia. And won. (Pat was just a point behind me in second, not bad for the first game). Pat had to leave, so Tiffany, Sean and I played Le Havre. After a bit, another gamer wandered by and watched the last half of the game, making this a banner night for new faces.

By the way, discussing Bridge with Chris reminds me that a) I'm still willing to teach people if they want to learn, b) I wrote an article on how tournaments work, and c) there is a regional tournament in San Antonio in a few months. (I wouldn't expect new players to be interested, but they'll probably have dedicated novice games ... )

And mybrute is down for maintenance. Boo.

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 10:59 PM, April 20, 2009, Blogger Unknown said...

Addendum: In addition it is most certainly Brian's fault that I have the Goldfishes theme song stuck in my head.

Soooooo delicious. Gotta have fishes. Thanks, Mr. Bankler. I really appreciate the generosity with which you have inflicted this upon me.

 
At 11:19 PM, April 20, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 11:20 PM, April 20, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 11:22 PM, April 20, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(...stupid reply formatting...making me delete my posts...)MyBrute Comeback of the Year.

Don't mess with the bull, you'll get the HORNS.

As I told the DL gang, the good news is that the Allies won the Memoir '44 scenario. The bad news...I wasn't the Allies. Stinkin' evil Nazis.

A funny touch in this game is that the special power of the Italian infantry units is that they retreat one to three units per flag (other infantry only retreat one). They actually run away faster than other units. When that's your special power, it's not really a surprise that you didn't win the war.

 
At 11:59 PM, April 20, 2009, Blogger Unknown said...

Well, as long as you don't change history with these scenario's life is good. It would be a horrible terrifying world if what we did and the games we played changed the course of history.

As for mybrute: I was excited when I got a club and knocked like 40HP from a person. My power is no longer drinking a healing potion!!!!!!!

 
At 8:09 AM, April 21, 2009, Blogger Brian said...

I just discovered an opponent with a flail and a warhammer. I died in two hits. But ah, TaoffEnuff is now level five, and what do mine eyes see but a flail! Loser no more! Although I still only have 57 HP and a stupid net. (Which is really useful against the 10% of the people who have pets). No wonder I only have 3 victories in my 15-20 challenges. My goal is to be the highest ranked losing brute.

 
At 9:21 PM, April 21, 2009, Blogger Ben said...

So.... BSG: Caprica....

Yeah... I'm wondering if the whole thing is a colossal joke of some kind. I mean... WTF.

I'll be curious to hear what others think.

Yep... I'm ordering Talisman: Dungeon.

 
At 9:22 PM, April 21, 2009, Blogger Ben said...

EvilBen goes 0-3 today, BTW. I'm trying to figure out how other Level 3's are so much better than me. My little guy is a very late bloomer apparently.

 
At 10:25 PM, April 21, 2009, Blogger Unknown said...

I am a Level 4 ATM. I wanted to challenge Brian;s brute, but he is too high a level for me. Sadness.

 
At 10:40 PM, April 22, 2009, Blogger Unknown said...

Brian -- I would not mind playing bridge/learning to be somewhat decent at it. If a somewhat regular SABG bridge things were to happen, I would not complain in the least. Just saying.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home