Friday, August 18, 2006

Session Report -- Friday Night

Jon and Michael made the perilous trek safely, and were rewarded! No children's videos. And games. Sweet, sweet games. First up was Indonesia. After explaining most of it to Jacqui, we got started. Yet another odd game. I went to merger-2 quickly, but nobody else did. Then, staying at 2 slots, I raised expansion and created the first siap-fajj company and raised my mergers to three. By this point, other players had raised their mergers, but we were still in Era B. We stayed in B for 4 turns (by my count), but then Era C flew by in a single turn. The scores were close, I had 1094, and the low was about 1020.

I think I'm at the point where I can write coherently about Indonesia strategy. Nothing epic, though. Perhaps over the weekend. This was one of our longer games of Indonesia, taking 2.5 hours (with rules). Next was Stage II. Ah, difficult questions. Fun, except for those damn hockey-related ones. Anyway, age triumphed as Jacqui and I traded categories, amidst accusations of collusion. When clearly everyone saw my bribery attempt fail. In any case, Jacqui won by a point.


Two quick games of Can't Stop rounded out the evening. I think Jon got one, and I got one.

7 Comments:

At 7:49 AM, August 19, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

That is an epic review. Good report.

 
At 1:51 PM, August 19, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

Indonesia is a very elegant game. Maybe someday...

 
At 10:56 AM, August 20, 2006, Blogger Jeff said...

I also long to play Indonesia. It always seems to get played when I'm not around (but given my spotty attendance of late, that's expected). If I hadn't actually watched part of one game, I would believe it to be mythical, like Ted.

 
At 11:13 AM, August 20, 2006, Blogger Brian said...

Indonesia is the game of the year, as far as I'm concerned. [Caylus was released last year which lets me avoid comparing them, but right now I'd rather play Indonesia above Caylus].

Indonesia has the advantage of being wide open, but I just wrote my strategy article (ok, I spent hours on it yesterday and today, so just doesn't quite cover it.)

 
At 11:38 AM, August 20, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

mythical, like Ted

LOL

 
At 2:36 PM, August 20, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

If only the theme weren't related to the production and distribution of microwave meals in Indonesia...

 
At 8:03 PM, August 20, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

Hey, it fits better with the mechanics than "creating the most efficient postal service" in T&T. But yes, it seems weird.

BTW Brian, nice strategy guide.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home