Friday, August 11, 2006

The hidden gamer in my wife

I think it was Tom Vasel who recommended some time ago, that in order to get the nongaming partner more involved in your hobby to ask them to pick a game they would enjoy. So me and my wife went to our FLGS last week, and picked a couple of games that interested her for whatever reason:

1. "Alhambra....hey... looks like Carcassonne and we actually went there in July"
2. "Caribbean? Pirates? Interesting. We are from down there so why not."

A week later we got our order from TWS. Tonight we played Alhambra twice. I explained the rules which she picked up pretty quickly. Still, during the game tried to correct her subtle mistakes in a gentle way. I considered losing on purpose to not discourage her from playing HER game again, but the devil on my shoulder pushed me to give it my best. So I did. I won: 126, dummy player 9something (there are rules for a dummy player for a 2 player game), wife 82. So we decided to follow this with another round. It was pretty interesting how quickly she learned from my devious ways. I gave it my best shot again. Score for the second game: Wife 123 and a huge grin, dummy 105, the other dummy (me) 86. We'll be playing Caribbean tomorrow or Sunday...

It's all about gently nurturing the hidden gamer in her.

7 Comments:

At 12:11 AM, August 12, 2006, Blogger Simon said...

I've never won a game of Alhambra against Dayna. She is downright brutal. I believe her last score was somewhere in the 150's...

I'm just lucky to break a hundred...(just like bowling)

 
At 2:21 AM, August 12, 2006, Blogger David Fair said...

People can tell when you are not giving it your all, even if they can't always articulate it, they know something is off. I don't even think losing on purpose is a wise decision for that reason.

 
At 9:06 AM, August 12, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

Simon: Yep. Same thing here (bowling).

David: You know, I still think it may not be as easy for a nongamer to pick up on that.

BTW, I was bored last night... fun with Photoshop.

 
At 9:26 AM, August 12, 2006, Blogger Brian said...

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Gamer.

 
At 9:58 AM, August 12, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

Beautiful picture!

 
At 10:48 AM, August 12, 2006, Blogger Mark said...

I KNEW that dice tower was pulled from England!

 
At 1:15 PM, August 12, 2006, Blogger Carlos said...

My wife is very fond of Settlers of Catan. She like the fact that is is simple and fast moving. This is also good for kids. I have been wanting to introduce her to Puerto Rico, but have not had the chance yet.

We are in the interesting position that we have kids, some old enough to play, some not. It is hard to leave some out without causing an emotional incident.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home