Friday, February 10, 2006

Gaming Session Report

Wednesday, a few of us met at Patrick's for a night of gaming. Although Patrick invited us all over to playtest his newest design, he wasn't exactly ready for us -- he was still printing and cutting. We decided to play a few other games while we he was busy preparing his game.

First game to hit the table was Amun Re. I got this game for Christmas and have been wanting to play. I have to say I wasn't disappointed. Yes, it's your typical Euro game. And yes, there was little interaction. (Patrick and Jon weren't too enamored). But there is a lot of strategy. There are plenty of choices to make. Victory points were at a premium and you had to really manage your money or you could be in trouble later in the game. It turned out the winner (Jon) had 31 points, second was Patrick at 30 and Michael was at 29. I ended up with 26 as I screwed up royally during the Old Kingdom phase. Michael also committed a blunder that ended up costing him the game -- he needed one specific province for an additional six points, but didn't bid high enough and was outbid. I hope to get this one to the table again as it took awhile for me to catch on.

Next was High Society. This is a filler -- I think our game took 15-20 minutes. But it was one of the best fillers I've played. Essentially, it's an auction game. But there are a few additional rules which keep it fresh. First, the person with the least amount of money at the end is immediately eliminated. That was me. Despite having the most points, I lost because I had fewest deniro. Patrick ended up winning, in spite of getting the -5 in the first round. Jon and Michael both ended up with zero.

Lastly, we played the unnamed prototype. The game is still in the early stages of design, so I won't talk about it. That way when you help playtest, your opinion will be unsoiled by my comments. I think it has potential, although it will need a lot more plays to fine-tune some of the mechanics.

And a fun night of gaming was had by all...

3 Comments:

At 9:30 AM, February 10, 2006, Blogger Kendahl said...

I just read Michael's post later down... Sorry to duplicate.

 
At 10:17 AM, February 10, 2006, Blogger Patrick said...

Nice report Kendahl. I think reports should always be their own thread.

 
At 5:56 PM, February 10, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

THey should be. It's easier to find them that way.

BTW Kendahl, count me in for deep strategic low interaction euros. I'm a huge fan of PR, and I'm sure I'll love Caylus. Sign me up for Amun Re which I've wanted to try for a while.

To be honest, I'm a gaming whore.... I'll play anything, anytime.... light, deep, wargame, euro, card game, boardgame, rpg... even when I get my butt kicked all the time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home